FY07-Q4 Effort Report of Marco Mambelli
This effort report covers the period of activity of Marco Mambelli from July-September, 2007.
Distributed Data Services and DSS
Work continues in the Tier2 Data Services activity,, see further: [DataServices.WebHome][http://twiki.mwt2.org/bin/view/DataServices/WebHome]]. This activity involves a joint group from the Midwest Tier2 Center and Argonne National Lab (Jack Cranshaw, David Malon, Jerry Gieraltowski, Rob Gardner).
The goal of the activity is to design, prototype and package services that:
- Host or provide access to ATLAS specific database services, such as TAG and possibly conditions (IOV and calibration) databases.
- Provide a dataset skimming service (DSS) for Tier2-resident datasets through either command line or web interfaces.
- Provide users the ability to access the Tier2's DQ2 server.
Work towards these goals included: group coordination (chairing meetings, taking minutes);
planning, scope definition and initial organization; prototype data services machine initial deployment; testing.
- The prototype of the Web interface is available at: http://tier2-06.uchicago.edu:8800/dss/
- Further development and integration of skim extraction jobs
- Further development and support of the Data Movement Utilities component (DMU) of DSS to move data reliably between local storage elements and worker nodes, including file registration in DQ2 site services. The DMU component is also in use by Panda.
- Planned DSS v0.4. providing interface with remote Oracle TAG DB: integration of DB browser from Glasgow group (1 Aug 07, 20 Aug 07, completed)
- Poster presentation and paper submission for CHEP2007 (1 Sep 07, 7 Sep 07, completed)
- TAG Workshop: full chain TAG production organization, continuous production, planning of development (24 Sep 07, 24 Sep 07, completed)
- Planned Functional Delivery of DSS 1.0 (30 Sep 07, 23 Oct 07, delayed)
Continued activity on PilotChecker (project started on FY07Q3
), see further: http://twiki.mwt2.org/bin/view/DataServices/PandaSubmitHost
. This activity emerged as support of my troubleshooting activity for Panda production. Troubleshooting needs and Site administrators requests prompted improved versions of the tool. The tool has been used also for official Site certification (http://www.usatlas.bnl.gov/twiki/bin/view/Admins/SiteCertificationP1
) following the 2 steps procedure defined in http://www.usatlas.bnl.gov/twiki/bin/view/Admins/PilotCheckerP1.html
. This activity includes maintenance of the server and development.
- PilotChecker v 0.2 used for ATLAS troubleshooting and new CEs verification: (NP, 17 Aug 07, completed)
- Integration of panda monitoring information (if pilots ran ATLAS jobs status and errors are available)
- reporting of pilot execution available via Web
- project hosted in CVS
- improved documentation
- PilotChecker v 0.3 was made available for Site readiness certification for ITB 0.7: (NP, 15 Sep 07, completed)
Continued activity in support of Panda production, specially the pilot submission, pilot troubleshooting on USATLAS sites and help supporting ATLAS production at MWT2 (MAWT2_IU, MWT2_UC, UC_ATLAS_MWT2, UC_Teraport).
Some accomplishments for Panda production:
- Readiness verification of new sites, e.g. LTU_CCT, OUHEP_ITB, UC_ITB
Readiness verification consists in:
- work closely with CE-admin
- verify that OSG components are installed correctly and functional, eventually support OSG installation and troubleshoot
- coordinate ATLAS sw installation
- verify that ATLAS pilots and then ATLAS jobs execute correctly
- coordinate activation of the CE in Panda central server and monitoring infrastructure
- verify that the site is ready for production and notify production shift
- 06 Sep 2007